How to obtain a Divorce

If you have come to the conclusion that your marriage is at an end then you should seek legal advice from a Solicitor’s firm.  At Astle Paterson, we provide advice and assistance throughout the divorce process.

Martin Astle, Director at Astle Paterson sets out the divorce process, which can be straightforward – and you do not normally have to attend Court.

Divorce Petition

To commence the divorce process, a Divorce Petition (and other documents) must be filed your local Divorce Centre (should you reside in Burton upon Trent then that is the West Midlands Regional Divorce Centre.)

Recorded on the Divorce Petition are the names of the parties, the address where the parties previously lived together, details of any children and confirmation that the marriage has been broken down irretrievably.   A statement is also included in the Divorce Petition which sets out the facts put forward by the Petitioner to prove the marriage has come to an end.

Acknowledgement of Service

On receipt of the above paperwork, the Court seals the same with the Court’s stamp and then sends a complete copy to the other party (‘the Respondent’) by first class post.  The Respondent is then invited to acknowledge that he or she has received the Divorce Petition by completing and sending to the Court an Acknowledgement of Service document stating whether he or she has an intention to defend the Divorce.


On receipt of the Acknowledgement of Service form, the Court informs the Petitioner that the Respondent has acknowledged service and the Petitioner will then file with the Court a statement confirming whether any matters set out in the Petition have changed since it was issued at the Court.  Once this statement has been filed with the Court, the Court will consider all of the evidence (without the need for a hearing) and, if the District Judge is satisfied that the marriage has irretrievably broken down, the Court will forward a certificate confirming this to both parties and it will fix a date for the formal pronouncement of the decree nisi.

Decree nisi

At the date fixed by the Court for the pronouncement of the decree nisi, a District Judge will read aloud the names of all persons obtaining decree nisi on that date in his office (known as ‘Chambers’).  There is no need for either party to attend the Court on that date.  The decree nisi is a conditional decree of Divorce; the marriage is not dissolved and the parties will remain married until the decree nisi has been made absolute.

Decree absolute

A Petitioner can apply to the Court for the decree nisi to be made absolute, 6 weeks and 1 day after the pronouncement of the decree nisi.   If the Petitioner has not already done so, the Respondent can also apply for the decree nisi to be made absolute, 3 months, 6 weeks and 1 day after the pronouncement of the decree nisi.

On receipt of the application, if the District Judge is satisfied that all of the papers are in order, he or she will make the decree nisi absolute and thereafter the marriage will be legally dissolved.  Kindly note, whilst the divorce process deals with the process of legally bringing the marriage to an end, it does not deal with any financial matters which may be needed to be dealt with or issues involving any children.

It is advisable that you seek immediate legal advice regarding any proposed Divorce. 

At Astle Paterson we understand that a divorce can be traumatic and confusing; we are well placed to provide you with excellent advice throughout your divorce.  To assist with matters, Astle Paterson (Solicitors in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire) provide an initial interview at a fixed cost of £100.00 including V.A.T.

Please contact Martin Astle on 01283 531366 (or by way of email to to discuss matters further.  

Back to News

More News from Martin

New rules for Notarising commercial documents for the UAE (United Arab Emirates)

Table of Contents What’s changed?How much does it cost to notarise commercial documents for the UAE?What is the process of ...

Read More
Divorce Advice – Should I defend against divorce proceedings?

This article is part of Astle Paterson’s Divorce Advice series. For more guides like this, see our latest news and ...

Read More
What’s the difference between a Solicitor, Lawyer and Barrister?

Martin Astle, Solicitor and Director at Astle Paterson seeks to explain the difference between a Solicitor, Lawyer and a Barrister. ...

Read More
When is a Notary required?

Martin Astle, Solicitor and Notary at Astle Paterson discusses how a Notary can assist you or your business. Martin said, ...

Read More
Brazil, Morocco and Chile join the Hague Apostille Convention

Martin Astle, Notary at Astle Paterson confirmed “Brazil, Morocco and Chile have now joined the Hague Apostille Convention, meaning that ...

Read More
Price Increases for Notaries to Legalise Documents to be used in United Arab Emirates

Martin Astle, Notary at Astle Paterson confirmed “With immediate effect, the price that the Embassy for the United Arab Emirates ...

Read More
Connect with Astle Paterson


Book an Appointment
Book an appointment
Burton on Trent Uttoxeter
Astle Paterson Accreditations

Business & Commercial   •   Conveyancing   •   Family   •   Litigation   •   Wills, Inheritance Tax & Probate   •   Employment